Thursday, May 22, 2014

Product Recalls----Read and Respond


Important News You can USE!

No doubt General Motors has big headaches with the record recalls recently.  Yet, recalled product is a normal function of life.   

A manufacturer builds a product, test it and then puts the item on the market for sale.  Yet, even the best tested items will show unknown issues(hopefully unknow issue...see GM recall!)

Thus recalls happen.  Unfortunately, recalls can get overlooked or under reported.   I recenly saw heard a report on ABC Nightly News that something like 30% of U.S. homes have a recalled item in the house.   

Thus this list provided by Al Clark's HomeAction Newsletter, one of my many resources for up to date information, is excellent to review!

I hope you find none of these products in your home.  But if you do, please read the instructions and get them out of the house!!



Home Safety Update: Recent Product Recalls
Home Product Recalls
White-Rodgers Home Heating and Cooling Thermostats
The alkaline batteries used in the digital thermostat can leak onto the circuit board posing a fire hazard.

Genie Garage Door Openers
The control board can overheat, posing a fire hazard.
GunBox Gun Storage Boxes
The box locking mechanism can open if dropped
Centex Homes Solar Panels
Recalls only brown, terracotta and gray OE-34 SolarSave roof tiles installed on new homes sold by Centex Homes.

Hussong and American Flame Gas Fireplaces, Fireplace Inserts
The main control module on Kozy Heat, Ambiance and Stellar Hearth gas fireplaces and fireplace inserts can allow gas to be released and buildup in the burner area, posing an explosion hazard.
Outdoor Tool Recalls
Ariens Snow Throwers and Power Brushes
Ariens and Sno-Tek Snow Throwers, Ariens and Gravely All-Season Power Brushes have a drive pulley that can crack while in use and cause the auger/impeller or brush to continue to rotate after the clutch lever is disengaged.
Remington Electric Leaf Blowers 
The blower's impeller can break and strike the operator during use.

Troy-Bilt Electric Leaf Blowers 
The blower's impeller can break and strike the operator during use.
BigDog and Hustler Mowers
The seat switch can fail to detect that the rider has left the seat, allowing the mower to continue to operate.
Whalen Stainless Steel Tool Chests Sold at Costco
The inside of the right door has a metal stopper or flange with a sharp edge running the length of the door, which poses a laceration hazard.

Hitachi Koki Grass Trimmers
These grass trimmers can overheat, posing fire and burn hazards.

Small Home Appliance Recalls

GE Dehumidifiers by Midea Sold at Walmart  
A component in the dehumidifier's compressor can short circuit

Dyson Bladeless Portable Electric Heaters
Some Dyson Hot heaters and Dyson Hot+Cool heaters can develop an electrical short and overheat.
Summer Infant Video Monitor 
The battery in the handheld video monitor can overheat and rupture, posing a burn hazard to consumers.
Twin-Star Duraflame Electric Space Heaters 
The heater can overheat and cause the units to melt, catch fire and ignite nearby items, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers.

Lighting Recalls
Ace Hardware LED Clamp Light
The cord bushing inside the light base could fail, allowing the cord wiring to pull out of the base, exposing bare wire and presenting a shock and fire hazard.
SATCO Products KolourOne LED Light Bulbs
The metal housing/lens assembly can separate from the bulb's base and fall onto someone if you use them in a ceiling light fixture.
Furniture/Home D?cor Recalls

Bedz King Bunk Beds with Side Ladder
A protruding corner post on the bunk beds exceeds the 5mm allowed by industry standard, posing an entrapment hazard.

Autumn 2013 Gardeners Eden Light-Up Decorations Sold at T.J. Maxx, Marshalls and HomeGoods Stores
Exposed wiring near the battery box can lead to a short circuit, posing a fire hazard

Pier 1 Imports Recalls Hanging Glass Star Lanterns
The solder welds on the lantern can melt due to heat from a tea light. This can cause the candle holder to break and expose the flame, posing a fire hazard

Rowe Fine Furniture Ottomans

Young children can become entrapped inside the storage compartment of the ottoman, posing a risk of suffocation.
Post a Comment